How To Care For Coloured Hair

If you are new to my blog, or haven't read my recent posts, you probably won't know that I have coloured hair. A few months ago I had Balayage done to my hair, which you can read about here. A few days ago I had my hair re-coloured again, but this time a few shades lighter. Knowing how to care for coloured hair, if you have it, is so important. If you don't use the correct products, or follow a few simple steps, you could watch your hair deteriorate and become dry and lifeless.

After having coloured hair for so long I have come up with a few tips and tricks that could save your hair!

1- After colour, leave your hair for 48 hours- This gives the colour in your hair a chance to set. Try to avoid getting it wet, or using shampoo in it for at least 48 hours to maintain your gorgeous colour. If your hair begins to look greasy during this time, it won't hurt to use a little bit of dry shampoo. 

2-Shampoo your hair every other day- If you're a person who washes your hair every day, you could be causing the dye or toner in your hair to fade quicker than it should. Even before I coloured my hair I would never wash my hair every day. By doing this tip, you are ensuring that you're retaining the natural oils in your hair whilst also making your colour last longer. Again if you are worried about your hair appearing greasy, use a bit of dry shampoo. 

3-When washing your hair, use the coldest water possible- Now I don't mean use freezing cold water, I would stick to lukewarm and don't use really hot water. 

4-Use shampoo tailored towards coloured hair- This tip isn't vital. You don't have to use shampoo for coloured hair, but if you do, you will benefit in the long run. The shampoo i have found works best with my coloured hair is the L'Oreal Elvive Colour Protect Shampoo. You can use this with not only blonde coloured hair, but also brunette and red colours. I always find after using this, the colour in my hair will look really light and feel so smooth. Its amazing for maintaining the colour in your hair.

5- ALWAYS use conditioner- I made the mistake of washing my hair a few days after it being coloured and not using conditioner. I could hardly get a brush through it! So one of my biggest tips is to always, always, always use conditioner! A little tip I've learnt is to use conditioner first, especially if you have flat hair. That way, when you use shampoo after, you are washing away any weight that could be left from the conditioner, leaving your hair with plenty of volume. This method also leaves your hair in such a good condition. I have been using the Schwarzkopf Gliss Hair Repair conditioner because it really does prevent my hair from looking dull, lifeless and brittle.


6- Use hair masks- Hair masks are a lifesaver if you have coloured hair. I try to use them once a week. The one i have been using is the Argan Oil Hydrating Hair Mask. If you don't want to spend a lot on an expensive hair mask you can make your own! There are so many tutorials online to help you !



Finally just some things to avoid doing with coloured hair!

1- Try to avoid using heat as much as possible- Even without coloured hair, heat will damage it regardless. Try letting your hair dry naturally or using the cold setting on your hair dryer. If you are using straighteners or curlers, use some kind of heat protectant spray to give your hair the most protection possible. 

2- Try to avoid chlorine- If you are a swimmer, or swim often, i would recommend purchasing a swimming cap, or something that will keep your hair dry. I very rarely go swimming so I don't really have to worry about chlorine. I'm not saying you can never go swimming with coloured hair, but if you do, try not to spend ages in the water with your hair exposed. This is because chlorine can change the colour of your hair slightly and if you are blonde, can make it go a slight green colour. 

3- Don't colour your hair too frequently- Probably the most obvious tip on here but we all know bleach and ammonia is the worst thing for your hair. If you dye it a lot, the chemicals will, without a doubt ruin your hair and its honestly not worth it. 

If you are thinking of having coloured hair, and this post has completely put you off doing it don't worry! As long as you care for your hair using the tips above, you will be absolutely fine. I love having coloured hair and caring for it just becomes part of your routine. 

How do you care for your hair? I'd love to hear some of your tips and tricks below!

Darriyan♡

Don't forget to follow me on BlogLovin' and share this post! Once I hit 500 followers I will be hosting a HUGE giveaway!!